We’d like to thank our friends in the professional community who helped us create this list of a-typical interview questions, each of which can provide better insight into how a candidate will fit into the organization.
- Have you thought about leaving your present position before? If yes, what held you back?
- What kind of career progress did you make in your last job? Are you satisfied with your career progress?
- What criteria do you use when searching for your next professional role?
- Tell me about three areas in which you have excelled and how that knowledge makes you qualified for positions with more responsibility.
- If you had a choice of any job and any company, where would you go?
- What are the three most important considerations to you in accepting a new job?
Current or Most Recent Work
- Describe your activities during a typical day.
- What are some of the more challenging parts of your job?
- Describe the most significant project you have worked on to date.
- Describe a project you are responsible for that required a higher-than-usual amount of energy over a long period.
- What did you like most about your last or most recent job? Why?
- What makes you effective?
- How do you define success?
- Describe the biggest change you’ve had to deal with. How did you adapt?
- Describe one of your favorite experiences working with a team and what your contribution was.
- Describe the best partner or supervisor with whom you’ve worked. What did you like about their management style?
Manager & Management
- Describe your ideal boss.
- Describe a time when you and your previous boss disagreed. How did you get your point across?
- How would your previous employer describe about you?
- Describe a time when you hit a home run or a grand slam in the eyes of your superiors.
- How do you manage assignments to ensure their completion?
- What have you learned from your mistakes as a manager?
- In what areas would you like to further develop?
- Over the past few years, what have you done to improve your professional development?
- What do you hope to be doing five years from now? How do you plan to get there?
Personal Attributes & Leadership
- What makes you an effective leader?
- What kinds of decisions are the most difficult for you to make and why?
- What three things about your last role gave you the most satisfaction? Why?
- Describe a leadership situation that you would do differently if you had to do it over again.
- Describe your efforts to sell a new idea to your management team.
- Describe a time when you reached out for additional responsibility.
- Describe a time when you were asked to complete a difficult assignment and odds were stacked against you. What did you learn from that experience?
- How do you keep staff focused?
- Describe a time when you had to handle a morale problem.
- When and in what situations do your coworkers turn to you?
- How do you influence and sell coworkers?
- What kind of hours do you typically work?
- Describe a time at work when you had to juggle several projects concurrently. How did you organize your time and projects and what was the result?
Conflict Resolution Skills
- What is the most difficult work situation you’ve ever faced? How did you handle it?
- Describe a time when your supervisor criticized your work.
- How would you describe yourself as a communicator?
- Define good communication.
- What have you done to improve your verbal communication skills?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you think you listen?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you think your employees would say you listen?
- What are you doing to improve your listening skills?
Sales & Marketing
- What benefits do you stress when selling your current (or most recent) products and/or services?
- How would you sell our products and/or services?
- Describe a marketing campaign you developed.
- How do you establish rapport with a prospect?
- How do you get your leads currently and how do you expect to get your leads if you change companies?
- Describe a recurring problem in your current or last job that you wanted to resolve but didn’t.
- Describe the last time when something important didn’t go according to plan. What was your role and what was the outcome?
- Describe the toughest decision you ever had to make at work.
- Describe yourself in one word.
- What has your experience been with major expansions or reductions in workforce?
- How do you set goals for yourself?
- If you joined our organization, how long do you think you would stay?
- What is your level of interest in this opportunity?
- What support do you feel would be necessary for both you and the company to be successful?
- Is there anything that would prevent you from getting to work on time?
- What’s the most interesting thing about you that isn’t on your resume?