Thank you to everyone in our professional community who has contributed to the list below, which is meant to share a few ideas beyond the typical interview questions.
- Have you thought about leaving your present position before? If yes, what held you back?
- What kind of career progress did you make in your last job? Are you satisfied with your career progress?
- What criteria do you use when searching for your next professional role?
- Tell me about three areas that you have excelled in and how that knowledge makes you qualified for more responsible positions.
- If you had a choice of any job and company, where would you go?
- What three things are the most important considerations to you in accepting a new job?
Current or Most Recent Work
- Describe your activities during a typical day.
- What are some of the more challenging parts of your job?
- Describe the most significant project you have worked on to date.
- Describe a project you are responsible for that required a higher amount of energy over a long period.
- What did you like most about your last or most recent job? Why?
- What is it about you that makes you effective?
- How do you define success?
- Tell me about the biggest change you have had to deal with. How did you adapt to that change?
- Tell me about one of your favorite experiences working with a team and your contribution.
- Describe the best partner or supervisor with whom you’ve worked. What did you like about their management style?
Manager & Management
- Describe your ideal boss.
- Tell me about a time when you and your previous boss disagreed and you still found a way to get your point across.
- What do you think your previous employer would say about you?
- Tell me about a time when you hit a homerun or a grand slam in the eyes of your superiors.
- How do you manage assignments to assure their completion?
- What have you learned from your mistakes as a manager?
- In what areas would you like to further develop?
- Over the past few years, what have you done to improve your professional development?
- What do you hope to be doing five years from now? How do you plan to get there?
Personal Attributes & Leadership
- What makes you an effective leader?
- What kinds of decisions are the most difficult for you to make and why?
- What three things about your last job gave you the most satisfaction? Why?
- Describe a leadership situation that you would do differently if you had to do it over again.
- Tell me about your efforts to sell a new idea to your management team.
- Tell me about a time when you reached out for additional responsibility.
- Tell me about a time when you were asked to complete a difficult assignment and the odds were against you. What did you learn from that experience?
- How do you keep staff focused?
- Tell me about a time when you had to handle a morale problem.
- When and in what situations do your coworkers turn to you?
- How do you influence and sell coworkers?
- What kind of hours do you typically work?
- Describe a time at work when you had to juggle several projects concurrently. How did you organize your time and the projects, and what was the result?
Conflict Resolution Skills
- What is the most difficult work situation you have ever faced? How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time when your supervisor criticized your work.
- How would you describe yourself as a communicator?
- Define good communication.
- What have you done to improve your verbal communication skills?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you think you listen?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you think your employees would say you listen?
- What are you doing to improve your listening skills?
Sales & Marketing
- What benefits do you stress when selling your current, or most recent, products and/or services?
- How would you go about selling our products and/or services?
- Tell me about a marketing campaign you developed.
- How do you establish rapport with a prospect?
- How do you get your leads currently and how do you expect to get your leads if you change companies?
- Tell me about a recurring problem in your current or last job which you wanted to resolve but didn’t.
- Tell me about the last time when something important didn’t go according to plan. What was your role, and what was the outcome?
- Tell me about the toughest decision you ever had to make at work.
- Describe yourself in one word.
- What has been your experience with major expansions or reductions in workforce?
- How do you set goals for yourself?
- If you joined our organization, how long do you think you would stay?
- What is your level of interest in this opportunity?
- What support do you feel would be necessary for both you and the company to be successful?
- Is there anything that would prevent you from getting to work on time?
- What’s the most interesting thing about you that is not on your resume?